Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Moving Day

This past Sunday I moved into my new condo with my girlfriend Megan. It was a long process to get everything all set but we finally got through it. I had no idea how much goes into getting a new place, whether it be apartment, condo, or a home.

First of all, I do not own a lot of stuff. My sophomore year of college I moved myself into my dorm room at New England College, and my friend James into his dorm room at Plymouth State University. We packed all of our belongings into my Volkswagen Jetta and made the trip up to New Hampshire. I will repeat what I just said. Two guys over 6 feet tall moving into college fit all of their belongings into a Volkswagen Jetta. I figured that if 20 clowns can fit into a Volkwagen Beetle then this should be a walk in the park. It was not. There was about an inch between my chest and the steering wheel once we got on the road. Packing a refrigerator, TV, two sets of skis, clothes and food took up a lot of room in the car. Needless to say, I still only have enough stuff to barely pack a small compact car.

Megan, on the other hand, has a ton of stuff. In her defense she is moving out of her childhood home. Megan was nervous about getting everything done for weeks before, while I did what I naturally do which is sit back and relax until the night before and then freak out. It worked like a charm. I got to enjoy my days off and did little to no parking until Thursday night. When Thursday night came along, I got down to business. When I say that I got down to business I am really just saying that I opened a box that I never unpacked and threw the items out that I did not want. Then, I resealed the box and was all set.

Friday night we set out to our new condo with cleaning supplies and all of our fragile items. Megan, her mom and her sister were in charge of cleaning. Since my cleaning skills are sub-par, my job was to rearrange the closet. Our closet is a huge walk-in that has shelves that can be rearranged to our liking. The previous owner had more shoes that my entire family so I had to take the shelves down so the poles could be installed to hang our clothes. This job should have taken me hours to do but I had my trusty side kick Ben to help me. Ben is Megan's Sister's child that is almost 2 1/2. He is a wiz with a plastic tool set and can drill a carpeted staircase like you wouldn't believe. It was his first time rearranging a closet as well so the two rookies were at it. My job was to put the shelves on the wall and Ben's job was to ask "What's this?" I gave the best answers that I could to Ben. As a side note to Melissa and Nate, most of the information I gave your child was made up on the spot. If he tells you that he knows the names of items and their use, most of it is incorrect.

Saturday then came along and my parents and brother Jimmy came up from CT. I went with Megan's mother to the apartment to bring in the rest of the kitchen items. My parents, Jimmy, and Uncle Billy met us at the apartment. We brought in a few items, including my Bruins Foam Head! After this we went to dinner at Margaritas. We then left, met up with Megan who was working at a wedding, and did some shopping.

Sunday was the big day. My dad and I went to pick up the Uhaul and got back to the Bourbeau's house where half of our heavy items were waiting for us in the driveway. Megan's brother-in-law, Jimmy, my dad, and I were in charge of the bigger items while Megan, her mom, my mom, and Melissa were in charge of bringing items from the garage to the truck. After taking apart the couch, removing a door to get the box spring out, and many pictures being taken, we were on our way. We got to the condo around 10:50 AM. We were done unloading the Uhaul at around 11:30 AM. My friends Steve and Nate came to help so we had a grand total of 10 people unloading cars. After the Uhaul was unloaded, my dad and megan's brother-in-law brought the Uhaul back. The made it back to the condo just in time to miss all of the unpacking and for pizza to arrive. Megan's dad was also very fortunate to make it for pizza and beer but miss the unpacking as he was at a conference.

After moving everything in and eating pizza and drinking beer, we hung up some pictures and clocks (with my wonderful new screw gun that Melissa and Nate gave to us as a moving in gift). Then  Megan and I said good bye to everyone and sat in our new condo. After about 5 minutes of being shocked that we had our own place we realized that we left my computer in her mom's car, did not have cable, and did not have a dvd player. We decided to go grocery shopping and then played the card game war. After an hour and realizing that War was never going to end, we gave up.

It was a stressful couple of days but we got through it with the help of some great movers.


3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see your new place and if you need anymore help drilling the carpet, I have a great set of plastic tools too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joey! Glad you got the blog up and running! Now that you can document our going-ons we better do something memorable this Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Your blog is awesome :) Ben heard me reading it aloud to Nathan (about the drilling) and asked if we needed help fixing stuff! Lol I told him I was sending him to your house again!!

    ReplyDelete